Today would have been my father's 91st birthday if he were still on this earth. I was contemplating his life as I knew him, and am today so thankful for the privledge of being in a home rich in the joy of the Lord. He made each day a special adventure and I felt like I was a big help to him but I probably got in the way more than anything. I have fond memories of going to town to get things for the farm, stopping by the filling station--picking out my cold bottle of pop out of the cooler and also a nickel candy bar. He said "don't tell mom"!! We always took longer than my mom thought we should because daddy always talked to everyone he met and sometimes they would give me a stick of gum or hard candy!! We sometimes would visit my great Aunts who were always glad to visit and really were not in any hurry. Sometimes I long for the time when society seemed to visit each other more. We always visited people on a schedule about once every 6 months or so and they would come to our house on the next visit. People would stay for about 2-3 hours and there would always be a lunch!! Now I can hardly get meals for us here at home!! Anyway enough of remembering--but I do have the great hope of seeing him again one day!! I know he would be proud to meet all of his grandchildrens' spouses and the great grand children some day!! Happy Birthday Daddy til we see you again!!
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
thanks for sharing your precious memories. i'm looking forward to meeting him some day.
I've been wanting to post on here for weeks... sorry I'm late!
I have so many of the exact same memories of grandpa. I remember him taking me to town and buying me candy (and don't tell grandma!). I also remember how he would always run into someone he knew and talk for what seemed like hours.
I miss him too and look forward to seeing him again.
Post a Comment